James Manders, Head of Operations Recruitment at the Twenty Recruitment Group, provides a brief synopsis of the current Financial Operations recruitment market
There seems to be a perception in the market still that financial services businesses are still struggling to either make more revenues or cut costs further, to the annoyance of some loyal and very effective employees.
Whilst this may be the case with certain recruitment businesses, we are finding the market to be completely the opposite with entrepreneurial businesses still demanding quality experienced candidates to cover the shortfall in their teams.
These businesses include Banks, Wealth Managers, Brokers and in particular, the Clearing Houses or Exchanges, which comes as no surprise, given the recent announcements of Dodd Frank, EMIR, CASS and FACTA. It is worth noting that regulatory changes mean that long gone are the days of vanilla settlements clerks and, with automation, these roles are changing into Transaction Reporting and Risk /Controls focussed responsibilities.
Thus far this year, there has been an incredible demand for data orientated candidates, as well as candidates with language specialisms. But most interesting of all, is the increase in the number of roles at the Head of Operations level – which clearly is communicating that businesses are thinking about their strategies and processes at all levels, including incumbent changes at the top senior/executive levels – very reminiscent of the 2007 boom.
With knowledge and industry expertise, it’s no wonder that clients keep returning to Twenty’s Operations team to help them provide rhetoric and market intelligence to their recruitment needs. We also provide a quality service that we are proud to publish so all our clients and in particular candidates can view. Twenty also hold the only group on Linked In for Operations Managers based in London. James alone has over 3,000 connections on Linked In, and broadcasts all roles through his updates.
Please see the below the promise we make to every candidate on our database – the reasons why clients come to Twenty, as a genuine extension of their talent sourcing process:
* Every role we receive will be forwarded via email to everyone who comes up in our search results and onto out LinkedIn page for maximum attention. This will include either a link to CityJobs or a Spec for the role.
* If you call us for a general update, we will do our best to return the call within 24 hours.
* We will keep you up to date on every role that you apply for, even if it is just an email at the end of the process so you can close it out.
* We will always provide honest feedback after your interviews to help you the next time if unsuccessful.
* If we haven’t already, we will meet you before any interview to make sure you have some personal assistance in you preparation. We will also speak at least to every hiring manager that you do, to aid your application.
* We will live by our 3 core values which are Life’s Short, be Eclectic and Crystal Clear. What does this mean for you – it means we will always provide you honest and transparent rhetoric, as well as the best professional service and enthusiasm to help at all times.
* Try our very best to help everyone that is looking for work and use our industry expertise to help identify the most relevant opportunities.
* You will receive a phone call from a member of our team as often as possible to make sure the details we have for you are as up to date as possible.
Whilst we cannot promise to be able to help everyone who is looking for work, it is our intention to achieve this for as many of you as possible. We want to be seen as a trusted recruitment partner to the Operations industry, and whilst many larger financial institutions are toying with the idea of offshoring certain Operations or Middle Office departments, the SME market that Twenty specialise in has remained and looks certain to be buoyant for the remainder of the year and certainly into 2014. We have increase our specialised staff by 300% in the last 6 months to cope with the volumes of roles and extra administration / processes that our clients are demanding.
With extra specialisms covering the Buy Side and Contract assignments, the future isn’t bright, it is Twenty.
Twenty recruitment have just released their new website which can viewed here
James Manders, 27 Sept. 2013
James is a seasoned recruiter with a wealth of experience within the Operations and Middle Office market – a sector he has recruited within for the last eight years with a range of boutique and specialist consultancies. He is extremely knowledgeable about his specialist area and has built relationships with institutions large and small both in the UK and internationally. His recruiting experience is backed up by first hand operations experience with Merrill Lynch, Mizuho and JP Morgan. He joined Twenty in April 2012 to head up the permanent and temporary Operations and Middle Office team.
James is jumping out of a plane in November to raise money and awareness for this year’s chosen charity, Teenage Cancer Trust. You can support him at http://www.justgiving.com/Twenty-Recruitment3